Does my insurance cover damages due to public unrest and strikes?

“With all the civil unrest caused by striking workers, political rallies and student actions such as #feesmustfall, I was wondering whether insurance companies are required to pay out insured persons or companies whose property is damaged by these incidents?”

Most insurance policies have a clause that excludes the liability of the insurance company when property is damaged due to civil unrest, war or terrorism. A typical exemption clause in you insurance contract would read 

“This policy does not cover loss of or damage to property related to or caused by civil commotion, labour disturbances, riot, strike, lockout or public disorder or any act or activity which is calculated or directed to bring about any of the aforegoing.”

Given that your insurance policy probably excludes liability for this particular risk, it is important to add SASRIA cover to your short-term insurance policy to cover the eventuality of this risk. SASRIA stands for South African Special Risks Insurance Association and is a state-owned short-term insurance company, established in the late 1970’s following the increase of political unrest in South Africa after the 1976 uprisings. SASRIA provides cover for special risks other insurance companies do not cover like riots, strikes, terrorism, civil commotion and public disorder to corporate, commercial and individual policyholders. SASRIA is the only insurer in South Africa that provides cover for damage caused during these kinds of incidents.

SASRIA cover includes amongst others:

 • Additional cover for business interruption; 
 • Cover for damage to vehicles;
 • Insurance cover against material damage, which includes anything that isn’t covered by other categories.

SASRIA does not however do business directly with the public, and provides added cover to an existing short-term insurance policy. However, most insurance companies add SASRIA cover to their policies for a very low additional fee. 

In order to claim the damages through SASRIA, the incident that caused the damage must be reported to the police and the incident must have occurred in South Africa. For any policy holder to claim for damage under their SASRIA cover, they will have to claim in the same way as with any other claim from their own insurer. Their insurer will in turn liaise directly with SASRIA on their behalf to ensure that the claim, if valid, is paid out.

Although most policies include SASRIA cover, it would be advisable for any short-term insurance policyholder to check their policy conditions or inquire from their insurance broker whether they have SASRIA cover.

August 9, 2017
Shining success in pivotal IT sector merger

Shining success in pivotal IT sector merger

In a landmark transaction that promises to redefine the landscape of South Africa’s information technology and telecommunications sector, the M&A Team of PH Attorneys played a crucial role in facilitating the acquisition of a leading cyber security software firm by a multinational enterprise software procurement company. This deal not only marks a significant milestone for both firms involved but also holds implications for the broader African market.

Leave to Appeal vs Special Leave to Appeal

Leave to Appeal vs Special Leave to Appeal

On 4 April 2024 in the matter of Savannah Country Estate Homeowners Association v Zero Plus Trading 194 (Pty) Ltd and Others (773/2022) [2024] ZASCA 40, our Supreme Court of Appeal (“SCA”) had to address the important difference between an application for leave to appeal and an application for special leave to appeal. In this article, we analyse the SCA’s views in this regard.

Sign up to our newsletter

Pin It on Pinterest